No Lawn Left Behind: Five Tips to Prepare Your Lawn and Garden for Spring 2012
2/12/2012No Lawn Left Behind. Five Easy Tips for Spring Preparation:
1. Treat your lawn with pre-emergent chemicals with a high nitrogen count, low phosphate count, and potash. A recommended formula would be 25-10-10. Don't forget to use some weed control.
2. Add a fresh coat of mulch to your beds (1.5" of topcoat is recommended) and remove old nasty mulch.
3. Plant your Spring Annuals (Inpatients, Petunias, Pansies). Start your seedlings indoors to control a healthy start in a predictable environment.
4. Start your sprinkler system and water your yard 1-2 times per week. Run a water hose on your rain sensor to make sure it is active. A rain sensor should deactivate sprinklers after 1/4" of accumulated rain water. Check the water coverage for beds and make sure to adequately water all your plants and shrubs.
5. Water your grass once per week until June. As the weather becomes warmer and rainy days more infrequent, add additional minutes to watering your lawn.
Category: Irrigation Systems
Labels: sprinkler activation irrigation spring turn-on may april march start start-up open opening sprinkler start up turn on opening irrigation new begin water lawn plants grass valve adjust heads rotors sprays backflow back flow RPZ virginia VA tips lawn grass garden pre-emergent chemicals water hose rain seedlings spring annuals mulch phosphate pota
1 Comments to "No Lawn Left Behind: Five Tips to Prepare Your Lawn and Garden for Spring 2012"
I think many people forget to prepare their garden for summer and just wait till it arrives and then start to work on it. However, like you said, you need to be prepared to have a successful garden in the summer and it will save you less work once it starts too.
Posted by Tiger Turf on May 30, 2013 at 06:14 AM
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "No Lawn Left Behind: Five Tips to Prepare Your Lawn and Garden for Spring 2012"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."